Bonding Functionality with Norbond® and Thermalbond® Products
Bonding tapes, also known as attachment tapes, simplify the installation of many items and are often used as replacements for liquid adhesives and mechanical fasteners. Saint-Gobain foam bonding tapes provide advantages over both of these methods of attachment.
Comparative Advantages of Foam Bonding Tapes vs. Liquid Adhesives
Liquid adhesives can be messy, hard to apply, and generate waste.
Bonding tapes, by contrast :
- Do not require mixing prior to use;
- Do not generate waste – you use exactly what you need;
- Are fast to apply with no set-up or clean-up time required;
- Have a far superior shelf life;
- Create no VOCs and there is no waste (cartridges) to dispose of.
Comparative Advantages of Foam Bonding Tapes vs. Mechanical Fasteners
Mechanical fasteners are often used to attach or bond two items. However, foam tapes offer significant advantages. They:
- Are faster and easier to apply;
- Reduce labour time and costs;
- Are non-conductive and provide better thermal and acoustical insulation;
- Provide a seal in addition to attachment;
- Do not require special tools, equipment, or skills for application;
- Do not require holes that create sources of potential leaks, mar the surface of an object, and create paths for corrosion to develop;
- Have a neat, clean appearance;
- Help to isolate vibration and eliminate localized stress.
Saint-Gobain Norbond bonding tapes are engineered to provide durable, long-lasting security in a variety of applications. Combining an elastomeric foam substrate with a durable pressure-sensitive acrylic Norbond bonding tapes have excellent resistance to a wide variety of conditions and are an ideal choice for either interior or exterior bonding applications.
The industry standard for more than 30 years, Thermalbond is the world’s most recognized brand of structural glazing spacer. Thermalbond is designed for use in structural silicone glazing systems where there is direct contact with the silicone adhesive. Thermalbond temporarily fastens the glass to the frame, allowing movement of units through the shop. The vapor permeable cell structure provides for rapid curing of the silicone adhesive.